We booked the Marimba Culture Tour via Zantours. This is quite new, and we did make a few suggestions afterwards, but we did have lots of fun and learned quite a lot about the local people of Pete, Zanzibar.
Our first stop was at the Machanga Cave. We did not expect this as part of a culture tour but absolutely love it. Just make sure to wear proper walking shoes.
From here we drove back to the village where we were dropped off and walked further.
- We visited the village herbalist. Interesting but a bit long and he was not the friendliest of people we met that day.
- From there we were taken through the village to see the ladies weaving;
- Shown how they live
- Explained how the houses are built;
- Where the water comes from; (Mostly wells)
- Visited the Well of Jealousy – Kisima Wivu
- And watched the local Sagando (Village Ngoma) sing and dance for us…
From here we were taken to our last stop for a Swahili Lunch Buffet. Very yummy.
Late that afternoon we visited the Zanzibar Agricultural Show and was I impressed!